Skip to content
Early – Mid
- Spread finished compost (to make room in composters for all those newly fallen leaves)
- Plant bare root, dormant trees and bushes
- Dig and store tender roots that won’t last the winter (ie: canna lilly, turmeric, yacon, etc.)
- Harvest sweet potatoes when the vines begin to die back
- Collect and save seeds from annuals and perennials that are going to seed (throughout the month).
- Disconnect rainbarrels, empty and store for the season
- Disconnect hoses from the house and winterize by turning off the water to outdoor spigots (if needed, as in some older homes in cold climates)
Mid – Late
- Mow the lawn for the last time
- Wrap fig trees to protect them from cold winter weather.
- Bring potted, tender plants into the garage.
- If installing new shrubs or trees in spring, prepare the ground now. Cover the area with cardboard and mulch to let it sleep for the winter.